Harold Davis, a Minerva resident for more than 60 years, was crowned the 1949 World's Champion Automobile Transport Driver at a competition held in Detroit. The event was for car-carrier drivers. Davis was a driver for Automobile Shippers, Inc. for 30 years.
The Matics family poses for this photo in August 1957. They are (from left) Faba Woodyard, Donald Kempf, their grandmother Martha Alma Deaton Matics, Helen Marie Kempf, an unidentified couple, Jim Howell, and Ruby Matics.
Remember When is published by the Alliance Publishing Company and distributed by its weekly publications, including The News Leader, The Press-News and Mr. Thrifty.
Minerva crewmen (from left) George Spade, Charles Conrad, Frank Tarbet and Louis Carr are pictured in Dillonvale, Ohio, Nov. 9, 1936.
[More news below]
It was 1936 and cousins Dale Matics and Betty Kempf are enjoying the day on their family's Carroll County farm. Dale is the son of Jarrett and Tillie Matics and Betty is the daughter of Leonard and Virginia Kempf.
Built in 1864 by C.A. Shober, this Carrollton home is an outstanding example of restored local architecture, located at 42 Third St. S.E. Originally, it was sold to Judge Robert Raley in 1868. Sometime after 1902, it was purchased by Dr. J.J.
Sandra Lantz (left) and Sara Loudon (right) show off their Easter dresses on 1945-46.
Hundreds of people board a train in Minerva for an excursion to the Carrollton Fair on Oct. 8, 1900.
Malvern's village square is pictured here in the early 1900s at the height of its success as a brick producer. The local industry was a gold-medal winner at the 1893 World's Columbia Exhibition. The Hoffee-Hemming building (right) still stands today, and is owned by the Contini family.
Harlem Springs College no longer exists, but from 1858 to 1867, the rural seminary known as Harlem Springs College provided easy access to higher learning for residents.
[More news below]
Abe Loudon, with Glen Lewton at the wheel, waves from the First National Bank car during the Minerva Homecoming as the parade travels down Market Street. This photo is circa 1956. In the background is Francis' Isaly's shop.
George Fluharty (right) decides his hat would look better on his horse than on his head in this 1930s photo. He is horsing around with Jarrett and Tillie Matics of Fox Township, Carroll County.
Buyer George H. Kishman (left), owner of Kishman's IGA Market, watches as Roy Burrier of Widder Hardware of Carrollton presents a trophy to Carl Michael, an Augusta High School student, for his grand champion Hereford steer during the 1961 Carroll County Fair. Carl is the son of Mr. and Mrs.
While some of the houses and the church may look the same as they did in the early 1900s, Malvern's Valley Street underwent a name change and is now known as Main Street.
Charles McGowan of Minerva served as the Carrollton Retail Merchant's Lucky Leprechaun for approximately 10 years. Spreading gold coins to all those lucky enough to run into him as they shopped Carrollton from 1993 to 2003.
In this last photo of President William McKinley, who was assassinated in Buffalo, N.Y., in 1901, are (from left) Parmalee Herrick, Dr. Rixley, Jack Adams, President McKinley, Myron T. Herrick and Secretary George Cortelyou.
The fourth-grade class at Minerva School posed for their class photo on Sept. 18, 1941. The class included (front, from left) Alexandra ?, Jean Peterson, Nancy Dowling, Yvonne Irwin, ?, ?, Faye Pearson, Joan Willis and Joanne Knox; (middle row) Harry Householder, Joan Bowling?
Minerva Girl Scouts (from left) Karen Pedlar, Janice McNary, Sara Loudon, Ann Boerner and Pat DeWalt enjoy the day in the Minerva Park.
[More news below]
The Minerva Merchants Semi Pro Football Team were honored as the Ohio State Semi-Pro Football Champions in 1947. The team was undefeated and "unscored on." The team included (front, from left) ball boys Kaye Don Brown and Jackie Munis, mascot Duke, ball boys Mac Whitacre and J.P.
A railroad crew takes a break to pose for this 1910 photo taken in Oneida.